Outer Banks Insider Bi-Weekly #1
Welcome to the Outer Banks Insider Bi-Weekly Newsletter! Every other week we will add more tips, activities, recipes, etc. to help you plan the perfect Outer Banks Vacation. If you have Vacation Tips or Stories to share, please email them to email@example.com and we can use them in our next newsletter. We hope you enjoy these bi-weekly tips and information!
Money Saving Tip
- The first night of your vacation is probably the most hectic of your trip. Plan ahead for dinner by making a casserole before you leave for your vacation and freeze it. Bring it with you in a cooler for your first nights meal. This will save you from having to eat out or order pizza. You can then plan your grocery store trip for the next morning and not be so rushed.
FREE OBX Activity
- The Outer Banks is known for great fishing so what better than to plan a trip to one of our many marinas to see what the Charter Boats caught that day. The kids will love gathering around each boat as they return and lay out their fresh catch on the docks for everyone to see. The boats return between 4-5pm each day. Here is a list marinas the family can visit:
- Pirates Cove Marina - Located at the west end of the Washington Baum Bridge on the Manteo Causeway
- Oregon Inlet - Located 8 miles south of Whalebone Junction on NC 12 at the north end of the Oregon Inlet Bridge
- Hatteras Harbor Marina - Located 1 mile north of the ferry docks on Route 12 in Hatteras
Recipe of the Week
1 (6.9-ounce) package one-third-less-salt chicken-flavored rice-and-vermicelli mix with chicken broth and herbs 1 tablespoon margarine
2 1/4 cups hot water Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup presliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can reduced-fat, reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted 1/4 cup crushed multigrain crackers (about 6 crackers) 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
Cook rice mix in a large nonstick skillet according to package directions, using 1 tablespoon margarine and 2 1/4 cups hot water. Remove mixture from skillet; set aside. Wipe skillet with a paper towel.
Coat the skillet with cooking spray, and place over high heat until hot. Add chicken, mushrooms, and garlic powder; sauté 6 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color. Combine rice mixture, chicken mixture, sour cream, pepper, and soup in a bowl; stir well. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine cracker crumbs, margarine, and poppy seeds; stir well, and sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Make-Ahead Tips: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time, omitting the cracker-crumb mixture; cover and chill in the refrigerator or freeze (thaw frozen casserole overnight in refrigerator). Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes; top with cracker-crumb mixture, and bake as directed.
Mom's Sweet Shop - an eclectic boutique of vintage & new items. With a focus on cultures surrounding the street & music scenes, we specialize in dead stock & vintage clothing, vintage furniture & vinyl, locally made items such as jewelry, art, and more.
Located in Seagate North Shopping Center in Kitty Hawk.