Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse
Located on the Manteo waterfront, the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse is a reproduction of the square cottage-style lighthouse which originally stood at the southern entrance to the Croatan Sound, near Wanchese. This type of lighthouse was scattered along North Carolina’s rivers and sounds to guide mariners in the shallow waters and around treacherous shoals. The lighthouse is an example of a screw-pile light. They were about 1,000 square feet which included living area, office space, watch area and then lantern room. Boats were hung underneath along with food and supplies. The lighthouses were located in very isolated areas and the keepers were not allowed to have their families live with them. The Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse was unfortunately destroyed in 1955 while being moved to a private property. The reproduction of the lighthouse was dedicated on September 25, 2004. It marks Shallowbag Bay with a fourth order Fresnel lens. The interior features exhibits about local history and educational activities.