Outer Banks Named Best Family Beach Vacation
Did you hear the news? North Carolina's Outer Banks has taken the #1 spot and been named the best family beach vacation destination in the United States according to U.S. News & World Report. And rightly so!
If you follow our blog, you already know all of the things we love about the OBX. Here is the criteria used by U.S. News & World Report in consideration for naming the top family beach destinations: safe waters, kid-friendly attractions, dining options, spacious accommodations, multi-generational appeal, and overall accessibility. The top beach destinations were selected by expert travelers and voted on by readers.
What People Love Most About the OBX
So what did they have to say about our beloved Outer Banks? Here's a portion for your reading pleasure.
History drips from the Outer Banks: Here, aviators Orville and Wilbur Wright took their famous first flight (at Kitty Hawk), the pirate Blackbeard fought his last battle (at Ocracoke), and the mysterious Lost Colony disappeared (where is anyone's guess). But this chain of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina OBX for those in the know isn't just for history buffs. Fishing, windsurfing, nature watching and ATV driving attracts the adventurous types while the beach, mini-golf and the aquarium entertains families and young couples. And each island has its own charm: The old lighthouses, rugged dunes and secluded beaches in the south couple with vacation rentals, water sports and kitschy beach shops in the north, all to form a unique seaside destination.
Want to read more about the highlights of a family beach vacation on the Outer Banks? Read the rest of the article here.
What Makes the OBX an Ideal Family Beach Vacation Destination
There are plenty of reasons why the Outer Banks is a family favorite. Here are some of the top reasons.
What would you add to this list?
- oceanside and soundside barrier island beauty
- uncrowded, pristine beaches
- a wide selection and variety of beach vacation rentals perfect for families and extended families
- an abundance of maritime, history, culture, and arts experiences and activities
- kid-friendly attractions, exhibits, and things to do for all ages and interests
- a variety of OBX towns within close distance, each offering their own authentic beach experience
- a safe environment along with welcoming small-town beach communities
- easy access to beaches; plenty of close, accessible parking
- restaurants from casual to fine dining and everything in between
- peaceful, quiet, not overly commercialized setting
- the quintessential beach experience
- the signature bankers ponies, everyone loves the wild horses
Isn't it time you started planning your next family beach vacation? Why not see for yourself why the Outer Banks of North Carolina is the ideal destination for you and your family! Click here to get started.
Don't forget to check out the rest of Elan Vacations' website to learn everything you need to know about the OBX. We have a lot of valuable information accessible right at your fingertips, 24/7. Let us know if we can help you out in any way when it comes to planning your next OBX beach vacation.
Have you taken a family vacation on the Outer Banks? What did you love most about it?