Outer Banks Insider Bi-Weekly #4
Welcome to the Outer Banks Insider Bi-Weekly Newsletter! Every other week we will add more tips, activities, recipes, etc. to help you plan the perfect Outer Banks Vacation. If you have Vacation Tips or Stories to share, please email them to email@example.com and we can use them in our next newsletter. We hope you enjoy these bi-weekly tips and information!
Money Saving Tip
Why spend money on take-out food for lunch when you can pack a cooler for the beach. Before heading to the beach for the day, be sure to pack a cooler with sandwiches, snacks and drinks. When the lunchtime hunger pains begin, just lay out a blanket under the umbrella for a beach picnic. The kids will love it! Plus, there is no need to trek back to the house or send someone for "fast food".
FREE OBX Activity
- Jockey's Ridge is the tallest natural sand dune system in the Eastern United States. Located in Nags Head, it is one of the most significant landmarks on the Outer Banks, North Carolina. There are several ways to enjoy this landmark at no cost! Plus, dogs are welcome on a leash.
- Tracks in the Sand – a 1.5 mile leisurely paced trail that begins at the parking lot and goes over the dunes, to the soundside, and back.
- Boardwalk – a 360 foot boardwalk for those who want to take it easy or stay off the sand.
- Soundside Nature Trail – a 1 mile loop that begins at the soundside parking lot and leads to an overlook. This trail focuses on the estuary and scrub thicket ecosytems found at the park.
- Swimming – There is a soundside beach where the Roanoke Sound is shallow and calm. Great for families with small children to spend the day.
- Sand-Boarding – depending on the type of board you have, you may or may not need a permit.
Recipe of the Week
Salsa Style Potato Wrap
This is great for an easy and light lunch
1 can (29 ounces) diced, no-salt-added potatoes
1 cup canned salsa
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
4 (10-inch) whole-wheat or tomato-flavored tortillas
4 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded, dark-green, leafy lettuce
1.Sprinkle both sides of tilapia fillets with five-spice powder. Combine soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.
Combine potatoes, salsa, green onions and cilantro in a medium bowl; toss gently with fork to mix. Warm tortillas for 10-15 seconds in the microwave. Spread equal portions of potato-salsa mixture on the bottom half of each tortilla, leaving room on the edges. Sprinkle with eggs and cheese; top with lettuce. Fold side and bottom edges of each tortilla toward the middle over filling, then roll so tortilla covers filling.
Duck Donuts - Located in Duck, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Corolla. Enjoy fresh homemade donuts made onsite. Choose your favorite topping.