Graveyard of the Atlantic
The Graveyard of the Atlantic is a famous spot on the east coast known for many shipwrecks throughout the area. Cape Hatteras is a deadly trap for all sailors that have entered for the past centuries. This stretch of shore is home to more than 600 shipwrecks off the shifting sandbars of the Hatteras Islands. More than just a collection of artifacts, the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum is a premier cultural attraction for the Atlantic Seaboard and one of the finest, most innovative maritime facilities in the nation. All along the Outer Banks lie shipwrecks associated with this rich heritage. The Museum is dedicated to the preservation, advancement and presentation of the maritime history and shipwrecks of the North Carolina Outer Banks from the earliest periods of exploration and/or colonization to the present day, with particular emphasis in the periods from 1524 to 1945.
The Museum preserves, researches, exhibits and interprets its collections for the benefit of the general public and specialized audiences. The museum is adjacent to the Hatteras-Ocracoke Ferry Landing at 59200 Museum Drive in historic Hatteras Village, the 19,000-sq.ft. museum incorporates large wooden beams and graceful curved lines reminiscent of the 17th-, 18th-, 19th- and 20th-century ships that rest off the banks. Built to withstand catastrophic weather, the museum proved its mettle during Hurricane Isabel. The museum will house engaging, interactive displays in three gallery zones. "Exploration, Transportation and Commerce” will chronicle the early explorations of our coast, attempts at colonization, the development of the Labrador and Gulf Stream shipping lanes, the role of the lighthouse and lifesaving services, and mysteries such as the ghost ship Carroll A. Deering. "Piracy and Warfare” will survey the pirates who camped on our shores and roved our seas, plundering ships of every nationality. Tales of Civil War blockade-runners, the loss of Forts Hatteras and Clark, and the historic sinking of the USS Monitor will be recounted. The museum is open Monday – Saturday from 10am to 4pm. Admission is free to the public.